I had a play around with this technique and came up with a solution which means you can align elements accurately with no effort at all (well, without using align at all!). To add to this; you don’t need the objects to be straight when connecting them together.
How do we do it? The answer is to add a pipe connector to the object. Connectors are not limited to MEP so this can be done in any Revit discipline.
Here you can see I have created a Generic Face Based Pipe with parameters to control its height, branch length and branch angle. I’ve added a pipe connector to the underside and also to the end of the branch.
Next, in a 3D view (or any other view) I can start adding more face based objects snapping to the connectors for ease of placement. By pressing space I can also toggle the orientation of the components as they are placed.
- Rainwater Pipe and Gutter fittings & accessories.
- Cable Trays (outside of MEP)
- Segmented handrail design
- Modular Staircase Design (without using the stair tool which has got to be a relief for anyone!)
- Drainage pipework (outside MEP)
- Climbing Frames
- Tower Crane Modules (horizontal and vertical)
- Parametric modular tall building design.